Whoa. What a year. I can scarcely believe all the stuff that’s happened in the last 12 months. I signed a book deal with Running Press, wrote a book, and went to Philadelphia for a professional photoshoot for said book. I finished the book, sent it off to my publisher, and am now anxiously awaiting its release. I finally fired up a YouTube channel for Humblebee & Me, where I’m having fun showing and talking instead of writing. I cut off about a foot of my hair.
I completely redesigned the entire site, making it prettier, easier to use (for both you and me!), and mobile responsive. I started sending out better, smarter emails so I can share related posts and other fun info with you guys. I launched The Humble Hive, the weekly Humblebee & Me newsletter, where I share news, good reads, and more. I developed and launched a 100% free DIY Skin Care for Beginners E-Course to help you get started in this world of making things and rubbing cocoa butter on yourself.
I published 110 new posts (for a total of 855!) and 36 videos (and that’s in just 3 months!). I replied to well over 2700 comments (!). My photography has improved (I now have a sort-of studio so I can shoot at any time of day or night). I spent an utterly amazing month in Europe that I can’t stop daydreaming about. I launched my first-ever partnered contest (go enter, please!).
I also launched an Encyclopedia, which I’m slowly-but-surely adding to on a daily(ish) basis. It’s designed to answer all the most common ingredient questions I hear, from “what is it” to “where to buy it” to “what can I use instead”, and I’m pretty proud of it. The FAQ has continued to grow, and is full of essential reading.
And now for some lists!
5 Most Popular
- How to Make Liquid Soap The Easy Way
- A Guide to Carrier Oil Substitutions
- Essential Oil Headache Eraser
- A Guide to Essential Oil Substitutions
- Deliciously Simple 7-Minute Rosé Sauce
My 5 Favourites from 2016
- Magical Primrose Argan Serum (linoleic acid = LOVE)
- Cold Snap Cleansing Balm
- Scottish Rose Salve
- Chocolate Orange Christmas Soap
- Chocolate Lip Butter
- A sort of bonus… loads of the recipes in my book. Seriously! I’m so proud of them 😀
My 5 Favourite Innovations/New Things I Tried
- Natural Dry Shampoo Spray
- Gentle Foaming Clay Scrub
- Two-in-One Creamy Hair Conditioner
- Lots & Lots of Clay Soap (total room temperature soaping)
- Meadowfoam Mango Creamy Facial Cleanser
My 5 Favourite Gifts
- Citrus Lip Butter
- Indian Summer Soap
- Fir, Cypress, and Silk Body Lotion
- Pomegranate Primrose Summer Facial Serum
- 1915 Redwood Beard Balm
My 5 Favourite DIY Purchases
- Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals by Robert Tisserand and Tony Balacs
This essential oil bible is famous, but very spendy (In Canada the current, second edition is $120). Thanks to an awesome tip from Perstephanie, I picked up a first edition for about $50—score!
- Silica microspheres
- Lip gloss squeezy tubes
- Syringes (for filling fiddly containers like lip gloss squeezy tubes)
- KRUPS Coffee Grinder
I developed most of the book with this coffee grinder. I bought my first one used off of Kijiji—the guy who sold it to me said it was at least 15 years old. I positively ran it through the ringer and the thing that gave wasn’t the motor, it was the lid. So I replaced it, because this is one amazing coffee grinder.
My 5 Favourite Non-DIY Purchases
- e.l.f. brand makeup brushes
They’re cheap and awesome! I bought a fistful of these great brushes for ~$20USD at the e.l.f. store in NYC and I love ’em. If you’re new to makeup they are a fantastic place to start—you can get kitted out, brush-wise, without feeling like you have to spend $200.
- MetaGrip bobby pins
These things actually work like bobby pins in hair tutorials do! Seriously, after I purchased them I was going around insisting every long-haired person I met try them. They WORK. I sometimes find them in my hair the following day because I missed a few and they stay in while I’m sleeping.
- Fjallraven Kanken pack
I take this pack almost everywhere, it’s nearly replaced my purse. It’s perfect for days where I don’t trust the weather so I can cram an extra layer in it, and I like how it’s fairly casual looking—I don’t look like I’m going to go run up a mountain or something.
- BlowPro curling wand
It works so well that I use it less—even my hard-to-curl hair will still have some waves in it on day 4!
- Vangaurd Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Boom Arm Tripod
This is the bad boy I use to film all my videos with. It’s getting a lot of use!
Phew. It’s been a doozy of a year, with more to come. Here’s some things to watch for!
- I’ve been interviewed for some magazines, so stay tuned for info on when those come out
- I’m a panelist at the upcoming Next Big Thing conference here in Calgary
- More recipes
- More videos
- MY BOOK. (Obviously)